Thursday, May 23, 2013

I panicked!!

As I mentioned before, I am painting those $4 chairs I found at a garage sale. Well today, I messed up...big time. After priming and 2 coats of paint I decided to start antiquing them using a dark stain. Every tutorial I read said to work on small sections. So I started with one leg then the other. It went well so I did the details where your back goes. Again no problem. All is well. At this point I think I got a little over confident. I applied the dark stain to the entire back and the back legs. When I go to wipe off the stain it has already started to set.

I panicked! Total Allie moment. The stain was trying too fast I couldn't get it off fast enough. I had 2 sticky hands and both gloves were sticky. I was getting finger prints everywhere. I'd wipe one section and dirty up another. I needed to scrub harder to get the tacky stain off. I didn't have good leverage, so I laid it down on the ground and went to work scrubbing as fast as I could. Mistake. The driveway and my scrubbing totally scratched up my chair. Now the chair needs to be sanded and painted again :( See.




No comments:

Post a Comment